There was a problem. Either no item was given to list or it doesn't exist.

Derby Daily Telegraph - 10 May 1932

PUMP WATER DEATH
DERBY CORONER'S WARNING
SHIRLEY VICTIM
THE dangers of unsuspectingly drinking lead impregnated water drawn from pumps were emphasised by Derby Borough Coroner (Mr. Bendle W. Moore) inquest at Derbyshire Infirmary to-day on Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Taylor (57), of Shirley, near who was stated to have died from nephritis, accelerated by lead poisoning.
A verdict of Accidental death was returned.
Samuel S. Taylor said his wife was taken ill in February and Dr. Hollick, who was called in, suspectcd lead poisoning. She was removed to the Infirmary on March 8th and died on May 4th.
WATER ANALYSED.
Mr. Taylor said they got their drinking water at home from a pump. After his wife became ill he had an analysis of the water made, and it was shown to contain one-thirtieth a grain lead a gallon
The pump, which had lead fittings, was cleaned out, and another analysis taken. This still showed one-twentieth of a grain. They had not used the water since the first analysis.
In answer to the Coroner, Mr. Taylor said there was no trace of lead that he knew of the strata in the district. The barrel the pump was, .however, made of lead.
CORONER'S WARNING.
The Coroner: The theory that the pump contaminated the water?— Mr. Taylor: Yes.
Dr. Lyne, house surgeon, said Mrs. Taylor died of nephritis, which was accelerated chronic lead poisoning. It only shows how careful people should be," said the Coroner, "to have pumps periodically examined to see that the water is perfectly pure."

© British Newspaper Archive

Related Items

Click on an item to view.